What's everyone reading?

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Grow a Baby or Adopt a Baby?

To grow a baby or to adopt a baby?  That is the question!

I don't talk about it a lot but I'm also very open about the subject.  Since I was really young I've always had "lady problems", they never really knew what was wrong, just that something was up.  It wasn't till a few years ago they ran a few tests and found out I had a Bicornuate Uterus {Info about it} .  Well it's what doctors think is going on.

If you followed the link you can see that what that means is I have a funny shaped uterus and it's congenital. There is no reason I have it and someone else doesn't, but it could be genetic. There are increased risks and complications with pregnancy and even possible fertility issues.  Or I could have absolutely no problems whatsoever.  OR I could have 2 uteruses... WTH!!?  Yup.

I don't really want to go into details about the condition itself, mostly for the reason that we don't really KNOW much about what's going on right now because to confirm everything and get specifics, there are a lot more test (very invasive) that have to be done to get an "Official" diagnosis.  More on that later.

The real reason I thought it was important to write this post was to bring up a big issue couples deal with on fertility. If you know Hunter and I's dating story, you know we got really serious pretty fast.  I think it was within like 3 month we were talking about babies and families one day when I was like

"oh by the way... I may not be able to have any"
and his response was like "oh, that's a bummer.  Would you adopt a baby?
and I was like"Oh yeah, for sure"
and he goes, "Cool, me too. I think it would be kinda neat."
and I responded with "Oh my gosh, I know!"

So that's was another reason I KNEW I had to marry him!!  But it was also the first time we talked about it. Since then we've beat the issue to the ground!   And we are totally  on the same page and he is super supportive.  I'm such a lucky girl!

As of now, we aren't ready for kids, so it's not a pressing issue in our lives, but I like to live my life prepared! So we talk about it A LOT!  I'm not sure what everyone else's thoughts are on how to start a family, but I'm hoping this post will give me some great feedback, whether or not you feel the same way! 

At this point in time Hunter and I are gonna make an attempt at baby making the old fashioned way! That is pending a few more doctor visits and tests to make sure it's safe for me and safe for baby.  After a good time at trying and it doesn't work for us, we are going to check out adoption.  We've even talked about adopting even if we can have babies ourselves. It kind of just feels like one of those life paths God is putting us on... but we're not sure right now.

I think we have ruled out fertility treatments, hormones, and very invasive/risky surgeries to increase our chances at having a baby on our own.  At least right now, maybe it will change.  It seems scary to me to to put so much pressure on my body and our relationship for something that may not happen when there are children out there that want to be a part of our family!!  I support those that pursue those treatments because I think it can be really the answer to prayers.  I just don't think it's for our family right now.  I truly believe what happens is what happens.  When Hunter and I are ready to grow our family and share our love.... we are gonna share to whoever we can!

I have a doctor's appointment this week for some follow ups and that's what got my mind thinking about this and I felt like seeing what anyone else thought about the topic, or if it's been discussed in your relationship. I feel like I'm completely blessed to have an incredible partner like Hunter. We knew that we got married because we were MEANT to be a family.  We just don't know how that family is going to happen just yet, but can't wait to find out! Share your thoughts and ideas on the topic!  Everyone has a different idea on family and how to start one, I would love to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment